The Latest News on Pharmacogenomics
- Nature Publishing Group's Focus on Pharmacogenetics
Adverse Drug Reactions
- Information about nortriptylene, from Medline Plus Drug Information, a service of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health.
- Adverse drug reaction statistics come from To Err is Human, Building a Safer Health System, a publication of the Committee on Quality of Health Care in America, Institute of Medicine (Kohn LT, Corrigan JM and Donaldson MS, editors, 2000).
- Medwatch: Medical Product Safety Information, from the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA), provides updates and safety alerts for drugs, biologics, devices and dietary supplements.
- Information on Antidepressant Use in Children, Adolescents, and Adults, from the U.S Food and Drug Administration (FDA).
SNP and Haplotype Mapping Information and Databases
- SNPs: Variations on a Theme, a Science Primer from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
- dbSNP, a database of human SNPs, from the National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI).
- The International HapMap project, a partnership of scientists and funding agencies from Canada, China, Japan, Nigeria, the United Kingdom and the United States.
- SNP Scoring, from PerkinElmer, Inc. explains several SNP detection techniques
Pharmacogenomics, Disease Risk and Medical Care
- Overweight and obesity definitions and statistics, come from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control (CDC).
- Genetic test for variations in the TMPT enzyme, offered by Genaissance Pharmaceuticals in association with Prometheus Laboratories, Inc.
- Custom-fitting a Drug for a Child with Leukemia, article from Discovery's Edge, the Mayo Clinic's Online Research Magazine
Pharmacogenomics, Drug Discovery and Development
- From Genome Exploration to Drug Development, an article from Pharmaceutical Technology Europe magazine which details the impact of the Human Genome Project on the pharmaceutical industry
- The Drug Development Process, an interactive timeline of the drug development process provided by the FDA Center for Drug Evaluation and Research
- Drug Discovery: The Leading Edge, an article in the journal Nature describing some of the new compound assay technologies being explored by researchers
Protein Expression Profiling
- Mass Spectrometry to Identify Cellular Proteins, a unit on proteins and proteomics from the Annenberg CPB Channel.
- Mass Spectrometer Video/Animation, a depiction of what happens inside a mass spectrometer.
- Proteomics, an Insight volume from the journal Nature dedicated to proteomics.
- From Research to Trials, a step-by-step tour through the clinical trial process, in the Gene Therapy: Molecular Bandage? module on this website.
- ClinicalTrials.gov, a comprehensive information resource and database of current and planned clinical trials, from the National Institutes of Health and National Library of Medicine.
Challenges and Issues in Pharmacogenomics
- Pharmacogenomics: Ethical Issues, a report from the Nuffield Council on Bioethics.
Supported by a Science Education Partnership Award (SEPA) [No. 1 R25 RR16291-01] from the National Center for Research Resources, a component of the National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services. The contents provided here are solely the responsibility of the authors and do not necessarily represent the official views of NCRR or NIH.